The Alumnae Association of The Philadelphia High School for Girls was founded on January 19, 1889. Twenty-five courageous, farsighted women signed the Charter. The objectives of the organization as given in the Constitution are “the cultivation of social relations among the graduates, the promotion of the best interests of the school, and the furthering in every way of all efforts looking to the enlargement of opportunities for women.” Thanks to the philanthropic foresight of its’ founding members, the Association provides numerous scholarships, grants, and commencement prizes at graduation each June. Since 1963 it has contributed thousands of dollars as well as books to the GHS library. Alumnae donate to school funds and publications. In 1984, the Association began to subsidize the cost of Advanced Placement examinations taken by qualified seniors. Support today ranges from capital projects like the installation of a dance floor and statue restoration, to student activities like the robotics team and academic competitions, to subsidies for graduation festivities. Every April, Alumnae return to the school to participate in the Annual Career Day.
GHS graduates have contributed in an outstanding way to the community, the city, the state, and the nation. Their achievements are in many fields of endeavor such as intellectual or social causes, government, science, the arts, and education. Girls’ High distinguished daughters serve as role models not only for the undergraduates and graduates of our school, but for girls and women everywhere. They have paved the way for the women of the future. Visit the GHS Alumnae Website to learn more about the GHS Alumnae Association.
Click here to access the GHS Alumnae Website